Sunday, May 19, 2013

Loved and being a millionaire

Hey friends,

One USD is equal to 2,590 Ugandian Shillings.

In Uganada, I am a millionaire. Also in Uganda I don't understand money. 

Let's talk about my first purchase. The nice Indian man at the grocery store says "35" as my total for a coke and some cookie wafers. I had not been told about the exchange rate... All I knew is that I had just pulled 1,000,000 Ugandan Shillings out of my bank account (around $400) because that is what they normally do (it is the max you can pull out and to minimize the fees you are charged). First off the bank they took me to - which they said is the best (least fees and most money you can take out) does not accept my special bank atm card I got to travel with. 

So. Here is the thing - you are in a foreign county. people are staring at you because you are white and you just realized you are basically a millionaire. The man says "35" as your total. Do you think 35 hundred or 35 thousand. In Uganda they don't tell you - you are just expected to know. I just stood there and shuffled through my wallet.  In this case it was 3500. The nice man at the grocery store laughed and told me it took him six months to master the money when he first came.  

That being told to me - I might figure out the money stuff in time to leave. 

lots of love, 
Michelle!


No comments:

Post a Comment