Friday, June 7, 2013

Loved and it's electric

I am still loving Uganda.  Sometimes it feels like this was always part of me, I  mean the need to here and the life style.  Everything here is so relaxed and even though I am normally so high strung, its teaching me how much I need to rely on God.  

I was going to make a potato vegetable bake yesterday... but I wasn't able to get what I needed, because there were other bigger issues.  So instead we took out some ground beef and let it thaw.  We are without a microwave this week because it is uptown at the samsung store the orphanage operates and we are doing demonstrations to the Ugandans. (they don't really understand all the wonderful things you can do with it)  Anyways, thawing meat without a microwave takes a long time to sit out. So when it was time to cook dinner - I scraped what was thawed and started with that. Luckily that was enough for everyone who was eating to eat with the tortillas made earlier. Then I proceeded to place the frozen chunk of meat in the pan and alternate scraping the sides so that the rest would be cooked for today. (and we could heat it up in the pan because we are still microwave less). 

So since yesterday we didn't make the potato dish - and all my potatoes came in yesterday evening, I was going to make it today. Well the power was off today... but honestly it wasn't a huge deal.  We had left overs heated on the stove (we have a gas stove but an electric oven).  Tomorrow we will have pancakes so maybe on Sunday we will have potato dish. 

So yesterday I also had to buy an "Internet Everywhere" stick.  Its a little stick that you pay for in advance for a certain amount of time and it gives you internet any where you are. (read:it almost makes me have a mental breakdown to get it started because its finicky).  But after paying about $60 so that I would have internet for sure when I am working on school work (specifically tests).  I had a 15 minute fight with it earlier today, while the power was off (and I was looking up a fact for my students).  and a 20 minute fight with it tonight while trying to take my test. (Katie, Heather, Melody - I cannot even explain how incredibly thankful I am for that email you sent me).  I got the internet stick to work. I took my test. 

The other thing that I am learning how to deal with is the water.  I always have to check to see if city water is on.  We have a rain water storage that is connected to the main house, but my princess tower is connected to city water.  I have to have city water and power to take a shower.  Last night, I was SO lucky and took a nice hot-ish shower.  The thing I am learning though is the difference between my wants and needs.  I want to take another hot-ish shower tonight, but I don't need it. ( I don't smell bad yet).  

I want to have power and electricity all the time - but I don't need it.  I am by no means saying I am ready to live without it - because I am not. I'm having so many struggles without a microwave this week, but when I say to you all, "Electricity was out today, or City water has been out." What I am really saying is that its been a small inconvenience which has caused me to do a little extra work or have a slight inconvenience (like go get water from the rain water storage or not being able to charge my phone).

I am learning the difference between my life necessities and my life nice-ities.

No comments:

Post a Comment